Buying is one of the most important investments that you would make in your life. A car not only requires a significant chunk of money but will also determine the quality of uncountable journeys that you will take in the future. Whether you’re getting a Honda Civic or an Audi R8, you deserve to have a car that stands the test of time.
So when you finally purchase your dream car, you don’t just buy a mere automobile. Instead, you acquire a dream and a vehicle that will not only take you to your destination but will also carry a lot of beautiful memories with the progression of time. And so it is natural for you to want to make it last as long as possible, and in the best condition, of course.
Today, we have created a list of our top 10 tips that will help you to keep your brand new car in great condition for a long time. Read on!
Our Top 10 Tips to Extend the Life of Your Car
1. First and foremost, for the very first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of your new car, it is preferred that you keep your speed under 55 mph or 88 kpm. Or if your car’s manufacturer has recommended a speed, always make sure to abide by it.
2. As much as possible, do not let your new car sit idle for a longer duration. This will but especially prove to be beneficial during break-in periods.
3. Try to keep the RPMs of the engine below 3,000 during the initial hours of your driving.
4. You may have seen many people warming their car’s engine by letting it sit idle, thinking that it is a smart idea and is good for their vehicle, but it’s not. Avoid doing that because a vehicle’s engine does not perform well at its maximum temperature. Instead, it will result in insufficient fuel combustion, oil contamination, and this will eventually damage your car’s components.
5. Ensure to inflate the tires properly. Well inflated tires not only help you to easily handle your car but also help to save fuel. To find out the accurate pressure of your vehicle, make sure to check the tire information plate.
6. Regularly wash your car. As basic as this tip sounds, it works like a charm. The dust, pollution, dirt, and mud damage the car, and if not cleaned regularly, it begins to rust. And trust us, you don’t want that. So make sure to take your vehicle to a car wash as frequently as possible.
7. When you begin the drive, make sure you always accelerate slowly. This is one of the best tips to extend the life of your car’s engine. The first ten or so minutes of operation are crucial for the engine and how you treat it during those minutes decides upon its longevity.
8. When you turn your steering wheel, avoid holding it in an extreme left or right position for a longer duration– not more than a few seconds. It ensures that the power-steering pump stays in the best condition.
9. Always drive carefully. Avoid sharp turns, follow the speed limits, avoid potholes, and running over the curb. Don’t do rash driving. This will not only extend the life of your car’s tires and engine but will also ensure your safety while driving, and that is the most important thing of all. If you’re driving recklessly or you’re in the car with someone else who is, chances are high you’ll end up in a crash. The Columbia Car Accident Lawyer Marc Brown has clients call all the time for situations like this. If you find yourself in a place like this and live in SC, give him a call!
10. And finally, don’t forget to read the owner’s manual. Most people tend to ignore it, leaving it stacked up in a drawer. They forget that the manual has tons of important information about your vehicle, including the maintenance schedules, how to use important functions, when to change the fluids, etc. So make sure that you stay updated with the owner’s manual as it contains answers to most of your questions.
So there you have it – the top ten tips to extend the life of your brand new car. A car is no small investment so follow the tips mentioned above to ensure that your vehicle stays in top-notch condition for a long time. If you get in an accident at the hands of a reckless driver, call a Columbia personal injury attorney like Marc Brown to get the compensation you deserve!